The Bedfordshire County Cross-Country Championships that took place in Shuttleworth on Saturday 4th January provided a chance for many of the club’s younger – and older – athletes to shine.
Bedford and County medallists in the junior races were:
- • Lauren Smith – 2nd in the Under 11 Girls race (7:18)
• Lily Farr – 2nd in the Under 13 Girls race (11:45)
• Rosie Foster – 3rd in the Under 13 Girls race (12:15)
• Natalie Simmons – 1st in the Under 15 Girls (15:52)
• Lucy-Mae Shepherd – 1st in the in the combined Under 17 and Under 20 Women’s race (24:10)
• Holly Hodgkinson – 2nd in the in the combined Under 17 and Under 20 Women’s race (25:56)
• Grace Flemons - 3rd in the in the combined Under 17 and Under 20 Women’s race (26:54)
• Elliot Loake – 2nd in the Under 11 Boys race (6:52)
• Cameron Barnes – 1st in the Under 13 Boys race (11:22)
• Oliver Wilson – 3rd in the Under 13 Boys race (12:09)
• Zena Saez – 1st in the Under 15 Boys race (13:45)
• Noah Campion - 2nd in the Under 15 Boys race (14:10)
• Tom Deardon – 3rd in the Under 15 Boys race (15:04)
• Alex Alston – 1st in the Under 17 Men’s race (19:58)
• James Vinnicombe – 3rd in the Under 17 Men’s race (23:23)
• Ed Blythman – 1st in the Under 20 Men’s race (28:15).
The club also won the team races for Under 13 Girls, Under 17 and Under 20 Women, Under 13 Boys and Under 15 Boys.
Of the six-strong team who took first place in the Senior and Veteran Men’s competition, no less than five of the runners were masters. Darren Deed was not only the first M40 home, but also won a handsome victory in the overall Senior Men’s race, completing the gruelling 11,000 metre course in a time of 36:03. James Minter took overall silver in 37:19. Charlie Palmer’s 39:52 won him the bronze in the M40 race, and sixth place overall. Ewan Wilson (42:04) grabbed silver in the M45 category and twelfth position overall. The team’s scoring members were rounded off by Stuart Still (45:08), the fourth-placed M50 runner, and Andy Blair (45:42), who was the silver medallist in the M55 category.
In related news, congratulations also to Charlie Palmer, who set a new Park Run PB of 16:53 in coming second in Bedford on 28th December, whilst Peter Deardon’s PB of 17:28 for fourth place in the same race, gave the M50 an age grading of over 85%.
For a full breakdown of all the club’s results from the Bedfordshire Cross-Country Championships, see the Results section.